Friday, March 13, 2009

Quite the Chef


Josh really is quite the chef. We totally love cooking together and trying new things. (I love that about him.) This last week he went all out. One night he cooked us this totally delicious indian recipe! It was seriously almost as good as "Bombay House," and that's saying alot. He even made homeade Nan! What a guy! Then last night he invented his own cookie recipe and they were SOOO good! Have you ever had a cookie from "Ben's Cookies" at the Gateway in SLC? they are super delicious! We've been talking forever about discovering their recipe but haven't done it. Josh buckled down, and by george, I think he got it! I think that might be his secret recipe now but ask him to make you some :) but here is the indian recipe:

Chicken Tikka Masala

1 cup plain yoguret
1 T. lemon juice
2 t. cumin
1 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. pepper
1 T. minced fresh ginger
salt to taste
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces

1 T. butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno
2 t. cumin
2 t. paprika
1/2 t. salt
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. chopped cilantro

1. In lg. bowl combine yogurt, lemon, 2 t. cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, pepper, ginger and salt (if desired) Stir in chicken, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. preheat a grill for high heat
3. Lightly oil the grill grate, thread chicken onto skewers and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 min. each side (we just cooked it on a pan on the stove instead.)
4. Melt butter in large skillet over med. heat. saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 min. Season with 2 t. cumin, paprika and 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low until sauce thickens, about 20 min. Add chicken and simmer for 10 min. Garnish with cilantro.
Serve over rice (basmatti rice is the indian rice but we usuallly just use jasmine)

8 comments:

meghannamarie said...

I love it when people can come up with there own recipes just off the top of their heads! I can never be brave enough to do that I am scared that it would taste yucky! Which it probably would! Anyway...I would love to try a cookie ala Josh! Sometime later maybe!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

wow...if you can seriously compare it to bombay house then I'm trying this tonight! you're a lucky woman!

Bonnie said...

That sounds so delicious! I agree cooking together is so much fun!

Tiffany said...

Awesome! We've been trying to make tikka masala too, and haven't quite got it right yet. So I'm really excited to try this! Thanks Whitney...and Josh!

Unknown said...

Joseph would totally love this!

Jami said...

mmm....We are totally trying it this week! So guess what? we are going to be out in Tenneseeish area in May. Are you guys going to be back before then? I can't wait to see you guys and hang out this summer!

Eric said...

Tell Josh he's setting a tough standard for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy and gluten free . I'm going to try it. chris M.