Monday, March 16, 2009

Memphian bargans

This may sound a little o.c.d. but I've been trying to figure out: where is the best place to do my grocery shopping? Wal-mart usually is the cheapest, but often is super crowded, has wierd-o's, long lines and is often out of stock on items. Once i went and there was NO leutice! not even bagged stuff! Kroger is pretty nice, has good produce, but it usually seems like kroger doesn't have something I want that I end up having to go to Target to get (ie: 93/7 ground beef, rhodes rolls, sun-dried tomato salad dressing etc) I know is more expensive for some things but seems way less crowded and as mentioned has several items not found at other stores... plus I know of several things that are cheaper here than kroger... rice, cake mixes, all other "Baking needs" (we bought a special kind of sugar at kroger for $4.50, and it was like $3.50 at target) Shnuks seems a bit more expensive but seems to have some good sale items- I saw boxes of Mac & Cheese for like .49 cents! good for food storage? Anyways, here is my proposal, make a list of common grocery items and compare prices at all the stores and also compare time waiting in line etc. If they prices are lower for certain items perhaps it'd be worth going to 2 grocery stores. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me out. I'd email you the list of items to price check. Thanks!

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

I do totally need to do this. And while we don't have Schnucks?? here in Knoxville, I'd kind of think everything else would be about the same. So I'm definitely interested. Also, I was thinking sometime this summer if you're interested it would be fun to meet up in Nashville and maybe go to the zoo or something, I don't know. I would just love to see little Millie and you of course! Anyways, let me know about that and the grocery store thing.

Tiffany said...

Yes, I have the same dilemma! I usually shop at target b/c it's closer, but walmart is less expensive. Sometimes it is worth it to go to 2 stores, but it just depends for me on how much time it takes.

Unknown said...

so I have done some research myself, but I don't think we have the same grocery stores her as to where you are at. I have a great little article that I read about this kind of stuff. I actually saved $70 on one product that I bought! It was awesome. If you want I can send you the stuff about it,TOTAALLY works!

John and Rachel Erickson said...

We usually go to Costco for milk, cheese, cereal, gas, and other bulk items, and then to kroger for the rest. Kroger is good at having meats on sale. Target and Walmart are too far away, but usually I've found Target to be more expensive and I can't bring myself to shop at Walmart no matter how cheap the food is. I'll do price checking with you.

Unknown said...

I sent you stuff to your netscape email address. I hope you get it!

Anonymous said...

you never cease to amaze me in your nerdyness! love you whit, stay with target, you may spend ten cents more, but cmon, how do you compare walmart and target?!!!