Monday, May 17, 2010

Lin's Visit

My little sis. Lindsey came for a visit... It was fun to see her and to go and do some of the fun stuff around town!
We went to Collierville town sq.- a darling little block of antique shops, old hardware stores, and the village toymaker etc- when you go it feels like you've stepped back in time just a bit.



Old (authentic) cabin in the town sq.
We went downtown and visited some of the sights:

Peabody hotel, way nice old hotel downtown known for their ducks (these ducks live in their grand fountain in the foyer, each morning they put out a red carpet and march the ducks to the fountain) this is mill looking into the gift shop window.

When it gets dark these cinderella carriages will light up and can take you on a little tour of downtown memphis


Of course we had to have some BBQ, so we stopped at Rendevous. It's a (total tourrist trap) restaurant downtown, food's ok but atmosphere is way fun. You have to enter through a back alleyway, when you get inside it's just a classic memphis BBQ experience (good bbq nachos)

Like many kiddos, mill doesn't do meat, but LOVED the baked beans :)

We checked out Beal of course, and stopped in some joints to hear some Memphis blues
And yes, Graceland was also on the list. This was the first time I'd gone. I'll admit, I didn't really care much for elvis but after visiting graceland I have a greater appreciation for him, and the icon that he was.

If you ever end up at Graceland, you'll probabally find you are surprised by the size. It is actually not so huge as I thought... kinda just a normal sized house...although he does have alot of land with stables, a recording studio like building, a buidling he turned into a race track, and a nice pool etc. You see Elvis bought graceland at the age of 22, bought it from a dr. who's wife's name was grace and he'd named it after her, Elvis thought that was sweet, so he kept the name. I was really fun to check it all out!

No flash photography inside so excuse the quality... this is his billiard room- walls and ceeling covered in fabric.
I thought his T.V. room was way fun- love the little white monkey. Not pictured (because the room was to dark to get a good photo) is the "jungle room" you know in the (amazing) song Walking In Memphis it says "But there's a pretty little thing Waiting for the King Down in the Jungle Room"- that's what they're talking about!!! a room at graceland!


His Pink Caddy!
fun times... thanks for comming lin, we had a great time with ya!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Your sister is just as gorgeous and well-dressed as you are!!! You two are adorable!

Melanie said...

What a fun time. Sisters are the best. Mine is visiting right now as well. Graceland looks fun.

Pitcherpost said...

It's funny how we need guest to come into town to finally get around to doing memphis things! I have yet to go to graceland, maybe I'll drag zach there one of these days!

Bonnie said...

So fun! Graceland looks so cool! Are you guys staying in Memphis this summer? Maybe we can make it out there some time.