Monday, November 17, 2008

Doughnuts

I have a thing for doughnuts. When I was little my mom would take us to "Winchels Doughnuts" in Provo (It was where "The Corner" is now.) I always got the same kind of doughnut... White cake doughnut, with chocolate frosting and sprinkles! Winchels was torn down and crispy cream became the new doughnut place. The problem was that Crispy Cream doesn't have cake doughnuts, so I was stuck with the occasional cake doughnut from a grocery store- good, of course, but not as good. We came out to Memphis and found a place called "Howards Doughnuts." We tried it out. To my enjoyment I found that they had Delicious cake doughnuts with sprinkles! I was 6-9 mo. pregnant so I was in the mode of "I already have a big stomach, so no one will notice if I eat alot of doughnuts" So I'd stop by and get these delicous doughnuts! Sometimes when I was out, but not near "Howards" I would have to get a doughnut at a grocery store... there was a week, I must admit, that I had at least one doughnut a day! It got to the point that the doughnut staff knew me. I went in one day and the doughnut guy says, "oh, I haven't seen you in a while" (not b/c I hadn't been there, but b/c he hadn't been at work when I went :) Man, all this talk of cake doughnuts with sprinkles is making me hungry! I'm off to Howards...

10 comments:

meghannamarie said...

You are so funny! I love that you like food like that and still look so great!

Koi said...

Mmmm...cake doughnuts... I freaking love those too! I'm not a big frosting or sprinkle fan though. Just a little glaze for me thanks.

Koi said...

Oh and did you know Kachelle had her baby Friday. I hope so, I texted your mom a play by play.

Leslie said...

Ok so our Sunday school teacher took us to Winchel's instead of teaching a lesson every week as a youth...so I know the yummy goodness you are talking about! We have encountered a few doughnut places here and it must be a southern thing because nothing back home even compares! Yeah we like our deep fried food...(are the cake doughnuts deep fried)? I hope you go to town with those doughnuts, you deserve it!

Leslie said...

Ok so our Sunday school teacher took us to Winchel's instead of teaching a lesson every week as a youth...so I know the yummy goodness you are talking about! We have encountered a few doughnut places here and it must be a southern thing because nothing back home even compares! Yeah we like our deep fried food...(are the cake doughnuts deep fried)? I hope you go to town with those doughnuts, you deserve it!

allegra said...

yum Whitney, i love cake doughnuts the best too. In fact as of late, i've been making dan get me lots of doughnuts. :)

i have photoshop CS3. it's way more than i need/use, but we just got the expensive one b/c we got a discount on it. "photoshop elements" is great too, i hear, and it's 1/6th the price. Photoshop cs3 is good because you can use "actions" that make editing so much faster, and those don't work with "photoshop elements." so confusing.

how fun that your hubby went to Thailand on the mish. we're going to phuket and surrounding islands, chang mai, and bangkok. you know, all the places where you're not at risk for malaria:) if there's other worthy spots he thinks we should hit, let me know:) haha.

Millie is darling!

Bonnie said...

Yummm! I love cake doughnuts, especially with chocolate frosting. We lived within walking distance of the Provo bakery when I was pregnant with Brooke and I would go on lots of "runs" that happened to end at the bakery.

Rohatinsky Family said...

Whitney...I feel your pain! I'm obsessed with anything chocolate though! I hope you're doing well and Millie is so adorable.

Amy said...

Which reminds me of eating doughnuts out of dumpsters....hmmmm....

Jill said...

Oh to eat a good cake doughnut!! I love them, but I too can't find a great one ever since the doughnut shops have closed. Guess we will have to come out there so I can get one! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!