Thursday, April 21, 2011

fun activities

I've been trying harder to find new fun activities for Millie to enjoy. I always want to do fun stuff but find that unless I have it planned ahead and written down it doesn't usually happen. So, I finally got around to making a plan. I wrote down some fun ideas and searched online and penciled them in my planner: 1-2 activities each week (and I found enough so that I could schedule 3 months worth of activities). ANYWAYS, here are some of the things we had fun with.


Nature Box: paint each compartment of an egg container with diff. colors then go on a nature hunt and find objects that match the colors. Mill Loved this one!

Bead Butterfly: all you need is beads and wire- make sure the wire is thin enough that you can fit 2 strands of wire inside the bead hole (so you can make your feelers). I obviously had to shape this but Mill enjoyed trying to string the beads on the wire.

Easter Chicks: 2 diff sizes of pom-pom's, yellow and orange felt, beads for eyes. I used hot glue- then after I put the glue on I let M. press the pieces together.


Flower cupcakes: Mill loves to mix up cake mixes and cookies etc. and also loves to put sprinkles on stuff (I think all kids love that huh? it's just the best thing ever!) Then we just put dum-dum's in for the flower and cut out some scrapbook paper leaves.



Back Yard Picinic: I put her food in an easter basket b/c we don't have a real picinic basket- ha ha. The dress she is wearing is her "picinic dress" (it's something I made in a sewing class in college) I'm not really sure why it is her picinic dress but she has clearly stated this to me several times.



Strawberry mice: slice the bottom of the strawberry on a diagnal so the mouse can sit flat. poke 2 almond slices in for ears, I used chocolate sprinkles for the eyes and mini chocolate chip for the nose. The tail is pull and peel licorice (this was my attempt to get millie to try nuts- but sadly, it didn't work)


Science: This one was super fun! We made "Oblec": 1/2 c. cornstarch and 1/4 c. water. She LOVED playing with this. We also did Volcano's: 1 T. Baking soda, then pour in 1+ Tbsp of vinegar. Also: color mixing: get a clear glass cup/jar and fill it with water. put drop's of food coloring in and watch them swirl around! Oooh!

Pink bath: probabally not a great idea because now she wants it all the time... She fell and scraped up her knee pretty bad and wouldn't take a bath b/c it hurt her knee. After a couple days with no bath I was getting desperate.


But- now I need to plan some more activities so what ideas do you guys have?


8 comments:

John and Rachel Erickson said...

Cute ideas! You are a great mom! Things learned in my classes: shapes scavenger hunt- put different shapes on a paper and she has to find real objects that have those shapes around the house or outside. Also reading a book and doing something like the book's theme-ex) if give a mouse a cookie and make cookies, fancy Nancy and dress up, etc. Or you could go on a treasure hunt with a made-up map and everything.

Lara said...

Cute ideas Whit, and congrats on the new baby. I wish I was as motivated to be as creative as you. You've inspired me though.

On the Dot said...

Hi- Awesome ideas. I love the Family Fun Magazine from Disney. It is filled with good ideas-- it's free online at familyfun.com
I loved your scavenger hunt idea. I guarantee we will fit that in our week somewhere.
Super Cute family!

Bonnie said...

Fun ideas! Your right I really need to write stuff like that on our calendar so I actually do it. One of Brooke's favorite things is to plan a birthday party for one of her stuffed animals, she decorates and makes a cake (sometimes real, sometimes playdough), and sings happy birthday. I love the nature hunt, so fun!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Awesome! Love the egg compartment nature walk idea! See my blog for some other ideas we've done lately...some favs have been making butterflies with pretzels, almond bark, and sprinkles, teddy bear picnics, and painting on the sidewalk with water. Miss ya!

Melanie said...

Wow...ummmmmmmm. None. I'm feeling a creative brain block coming on (like a brain freeze, ya know). Ugh. Super fun ideas. I might have to steal a few. Especially the volcano one. My boys would LOVE that.

Karrie said...

So fun. I have no ideas to share, just amazement at your creativity. Millie is so cute.

Jenna said...

you are the cutest, most creative & clever mom ever! My activities are pretty predictable for Carter: digging in dirt, sidewalk chalk, trucks, walks, coloring pictures. . . . I have a few more months of these being novelties still ;)