Saturday, February 05, 2011

Valentines Wreath


I saw a wreath like this in my friends magazine and thought it was pretty cute. I like how it looks home-made and kind of cheesy with all the glitter but that's what valentines is about! The cost was about $4. I've written up a little "tutorial" below

Supplies:

-scizzors

-newspaper or pages from an old book

-4-5 different sheets of "valentines paper"

-red cardstock

-glitter glue

-glue stick

-modge podge

-sponge brush

-Thin card board box (like a cereal box)

-normal cardboard box

-ribbon to match

-glitter love letters (Target has a pink glitter pack of ABC's for .99 cents)



1. cut out hearts from scrap book paper. (I got my paper after last Valentines so it was like 50% off) You will want to cut 4 big hearts (out of same paper), 8 med hearts (1 did 5 out of newsprint and 3 on a brown print) and about 12-13 small hearts, can be cut in various small sizes.(I used about 3 different prints AND the plain red cardstock for the smaller hearts)




2. brush modge podge on the back of the hearts and stick them on the thin cardboard (ie; cereal box) when the Modge podge is dry, paint over the tops of the hearts. wait for it to dry.


3. Glitter glue!



squirt red glitter glue around newsprint hearts, and silver glue around the 4 big hearts... I was to cheap to buy red glitter paper so I just painted my small plain red hearts with the glitter glue...


4. cut out wreath from thicker cardboard- I traced a large mixing bowl (about 12") then I cut out the center- leaving me with a wreath that was about 1 1/2 in wide.

5. arrange hearts on wreath, and glue them down with glue stick (or hot glue or what ever you want) I also wanted my hearts to be a little more 3d so I cut some small tabs out of cardboard (like the one in the gap between hearts in photo above) and then glued the heart onto that. some hearts were glued directly to the wreath, some on 1 tab and others on 2 tabs (does that make sense?)


6. make sign- I had reversable paper so I used the back of one of my sheets. covered it with modge podge and glued on the love letters. (the ribbon looking things off to the side of the sign is just paper that was modge-podged and folded like a ribbon)


7. attach ribbon to top!

11 comments:

John and Rachel Erickson said...

So cute! You need to come decorate my house! I love all of your ideas!

Mindy said...

This is adorable. And it almost looks like I could make it ... almost. :) Maybe I will just pay you to make all these cute things for me. :)

Unknown said...

that looks so good! And you make it look so easy I might actually try it :) usually I'm too overwhelmed by all of the supplies required to try anything crafty, but this looks fun!

Melanie said...

REALLY CUTE! I love it.

Circlegoddess said...

This is such a cute project! Love it!

JoAnn said...

Great project. You did a fantastic job making the wreath.

Anonymous said...

I really like this wreath! I like the different Valentine's paper you used. Too cute!

Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

Tora´s Vintage Dream said...

I love this, maybe I´ll try to make one :) Thanks for the tutorial.

Unknown said...

I just finished making this wreath. I love it. Thanks for the idea.

Jennifer said...

Hi Whitney: I'm an editor at Country Woman magazine. I'd like to connect with you about this wreath. Could you email me at feedbackATcountrywomanmagazine.com? Thanks much.

Martin said...

I think this Valentine's Day wreath would look lovely in my home.