Friday, February 10, 2012

felt valentine heart clips





I just made these for M. and they are super easy and fun!


How To:

1. cut 2 red circles out of felt. Mine are 1.5 inches (generally you want to cut the circles just larger than the clips you are going to cover- but I had large clips on hand and didn't want to go to the store for smaller ones, so my clip ends just hang out.



2. cut 2 pink hearts out of felt.



3. center heart on red circle and stich around with a machine embroidery stich (of course you could do this by hand if you don't want to use the machine.) The embroidery stich is usually located at the same place as the regular stich, (it's indicated with the 3 gold lines, under the regular stich) all you have to do is switch the length to "stretch" (hope that makes sense) but I love this stich. it tripples over so it makes the threads pop out. cute.





4. cut a hole in the back piece of felt. slip the aligator clip through. (again, ideally your clip would be enclosed, but I was lazy)



5. put top on sandwiching the main part of the clip inside.




6. hand stich around edges of circle with 3 strands of embroidery floss (I like to do this with the clip open so I make sure I don't stich over the outside part of the clip) ALSO**** if you are making a set, make sure your clips face 2 different directions so that your clips will be right side up when pinned in your hair!



7. when finishing I don't like to tie the knot near the edge in case the extra thread pokes out so I thread the embroidery floss through the clip and have it come out near the center and knot it off there.


I posted this quick so let me know if it doesn't make sense :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melanie said...

VERY CUTE!

Bonnie said...

Super cute! I think I might try these!

KellySummer said...

way cute whit. you are totally trying to get mentioned on that craft blog again. and rightly so! ha :)